Deaf Services Training/Workshops
The Whole Person offers the opportunity to learn more about the Deaf community in Kansas City. We provide two training/workshop options for businesses, groups and organizations in the Kansas City Metro Area.
Deaf Cultural Awareness Training
Lead by: Micki Keck & Certified ASL Interpreter
Price: $250 for up to 20 people
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the unique culture and perspective of the Deaf community
- Utilize a variety of methods to communicate effectively
- Recognize and implement reasonable accommodations for employee success and customer access
- Understand and utilize the various forms of telecommunication relay services
- Identify additional communication technology and applications
- Appropriately determine effective communication strategies
Basic ASL Workshop
Lead by: Micki Keck
Price: $125 per workshop for up to 20 people
There are an estimated 11 million Deaf people in the United States and over 10,000 Deaf individuals in the Greater Kansas City area. This workshop will provide:
- Total immersion into ASL. The workshop will be tailored to the specific ASL signs necessary for your group (for example, a Child Care Facility will learn the 20 basic Infant signs)
- A final opportunity at the end of each workshop for participants to “practice” with each other and the Instructor
Not in the KC Metro Area? We’ll still come to you.
There will be an additional $25 fee for areas beyond 25 miles from The Whole Person.
About our Workshop Leader
Michele ‘Micki’ Keck was born to a mixed deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing family (fourth deaf generation on her maternal side) in Kansas City, Missouri and attended Kansas School for the Deaf, Gallaudet University, and McDaniel College. After teaching American Sign Language and Deaf Studies in community colleges and deaf schools for more than 25 years, she currently is an Independent Living Advocate-Deaf Services at The Whole Person.
To schedule a training or workshop, send an email to Micki at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK BELOW to download an informational flyer.