Tennis for All Abilities
Entry Level and Recreation Tennis Session: 1st and 3rd Saturdays from 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM at Northland Racquet Club, 306 Tennis Ct, North Kansas City, MO. $5.00 weekly participation fee (Cash/Check/Card payment due before play; scholarships are available to those who qualify).
We are teaching individuals basic racquet techniques, proper forehand, proper backhand, and mobility if they are able to do so. These beginner sessions are fun and interactive, involving simple techniques such as dropping or bouncing a ball to the participants as they try to properly make contact with the tennis racquet and the ball. Sessions are not focused on playing an actual match.
If your child has a disability that prevents them from playing “regular” tennis, they can still enjoy all of the benefits the game of tennis provides with adaptations designed to meet their individual needs.
Tennis is truly a game for everyone. If you can swing a racquet, you CAN play!
According to the United States Tennis Association (USTA), the goal of adaptive tennis is to promote and develop recreational tennis opportunities for individuals with differing abilities and circumstances through inclusion, knowledge, and support, and by providing, where needed, adaptive programming, equipment, and teaching techniques.
The objectives of the series :
- To allow children with a variety of physical limitations and special needs to be introduced to and explore basic skills in a fun, recreational environment.
- To allow children with a variety of physical limitations to learn the fundamentals of the game of tennis.
The goals of the series:
- To improve hand/eye coordination, racquet skills, volleys and ground strokes.
- To prepare adaptive tennis players for competitive play.
To ensure a fun and safe event, children must be:
- Ages K-12 and able to actively participate in workshop*
- Seizure free for at least 2 months*
- Caregiver presence needed for assistance if participant is not physically independent*
- Having participants be able to push a manual wheelchair independently is preferred*
*NOTE: Parent/guardian will need to sign a waiver before child can play. Waiver will be available at venue.